Jamal Edwards’ cause of death revealed as Loose Women star mum Brenda pays emotional tribute to son, 31

()

MUSIC entrepreneur Jamal Edwards died from a cardiac arrest after a late night cocaine and booze session, an inquest heard today.

Three small snap bags containing the remnants of white powder were found on the 31-year-old son of Loose Women panellist Brenda Edwards after he collapsed in February.

His heartbroken mum, Brenda, described Jamal as ‘a beautiful and selfless person’ in a statement read to the inquestRex

Toxicology tests found cocaine and alcohol in Jamal’s system, but no cannabisGetty

Assistant West London Coroner Ivor Collett today ruled that Mr Edwards died after a cardiac arrest brought on by taking cocaine and drinking.

His heartbroken mum, Brenda, described him as “a beautiful and selfless person” in a statement read to the inquest.

The founder of R&B/Hip-Hop platform SB.TV had returned to his home in Acton, West London, after 4am following his DJ set in north London.

He then sat up drinking with a pal, Nick Hopper, who was living in an annex of the house.

READ MORE ON JAMAL EDWARDS

‘I MISS JAMAL’
Jessie J shares grief over Jamal Edwards, says his death ‘doesn’t feel real’

REMEMBERING JAMAL
GMB’s Sean Fletcher pays tribute to Jamal Edwards

After a while Mr Edwards became erratic and paranoid and began throwing objects around the room before collapsing, the inquest was told.

Despite the best efforts of Mr Hopper and later his uncle, Rodney Artman, as well as paramedics, Mr Edwards did not wake up and was declared dead at 10.36am on Sunday February 20.

Mr Hopper said in a statement read to the inquest by the coroner: “When he came in he appeared to be his normal self and it appeared that he had just been out.

“We began to chat, smoke some weed and drink. He told me he was under a lot of pressure. There were periods of talking followed by silences.

“Over time Jamal became quite paranoid and was saying I had things in my hands when I didn’t. Anytime I moved he began panicking. I told him to calm down, but he became increasingly irate.

Most read in Showbiz

HELD BY BOYS IN BLUE

Lee Ryan arrested after ‘going berserk & being abusive on plane’

MISSION IMPROBABLE

Tom Cruise told me he liked my dog… then he jumped off a cliff

BACK ON

Katie Price puts on brave face with fiance Carl after telling friends they’d SPLIT

BOND GIRL

Amanda Holden looks incredible as she strips to blue bikini for a dip in the pool

ring it on

Katie Price ‘refusing to give £50k engagement ring back to Carl Woods’

ROARING AWAY!

Christine McGuinness ditches her wedding ring as she watches Lionesses win

“He was grabbing things, throwing them around the room. He was panicking and sweating, I spent ages trying to get him to open the door.”

Mr Hopper said that he kept trying to open a window, but Mr Edwards wouldn’t let him and he eventually collapsed unconscious by the bathroom door.

After 9.30am Mr Edwards’s uncle arrived and he said he performed CPR for about 10 minutes until paramedics arrived and took over, but they were unable to resuscitate them.

The inquest heard that police treated the death as non-suspicious, but found three small snap bags with the remnants of white powder in Mr Edwards’s pocket.

Toxicology tests found cocaine and alcohol in his system, but no cannabis.

There was also MDMA in Mr Edwards’ urine but not blood, indicating that he had taken the drug recently – but not on the night of his death.

In a statement, Met Police Detective Sergeant Luke Taylor said: “There were no signs of trauma to either party.

“Three small snap bags were found in his pocket with remnants of a white powder and bloody tissues, associated with the taking of Class A drugs.

“He suffered a cardiac episode from taking recreational drugs and alcohol.”

Mr Edwards’s GP confirmed that while he had traits of sickle cell disease, he was not on any regular medication.

Summing up at West London Coroner’s Court, Mr Collett said: “He had worked as a DJ at a venue in Islington.

“At around 4.30am he arrived at home and joined his close friend.

“They had some drinks and had arranged to smoke cannabis. Although he appeared normal at first his behaviour changed and he exhibited signs of anxiety, paranoia and irritation.

“Despite his friend’s efforts to calm him down he began throwing things around the room before collapsing on the floor.

“The police found drug paraphernalia, the toxicology tests found recent evidence of drug use.

“The insinuation is that Jamal had taken cocaine in sufficient quantity to cause an adverse reaction brought about by cocaine toxicity. This then caused cardiac arrhythmia which resulted in his death.”

Mr Edwards was awarded an MBE in 2014 for his services to music and he was an ambassador for the Prince’s Trust.

In a statement read to the hearing, Brenda Edwards said: “Jamal was a beautiful and selfless person.

“Since growing up with his family in Acton he made it his personal mission to open doors for others to walk through.

“To help people through life, to love and to laugh. And most importantly, to just make people happy.”

She added: “Jamal helped so many, working tirelessly to give a platform to people.

Read More on The Sun

PRICE WAR
Tesco sets off fuel pump war after slashing petrol by 6.5p after Asda cut prices

ON THE FENCE
We spent £9K renovating our fence – our neighbours then turned it 180 degrees

“His charitable work stretched near and far, from working at homeless shelters to giving back to his roots in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

“We are so proud of everything Jamal achieved over the course of his 31 years and how he impacted others’ lives. We miss him so much.”

Source: The Sun – Read More

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating / 5. Vote count:

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Author:

Leave a Reply